On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 02:02:51PM -0500, Jeremy Volkening wrote:
> > I hope an amicable resolution can be worked out, but I really think that
> > the package should be called 'neomutt', and that the 'mutt' package, if
> > any, should be based on the upstream source, and should more or less
> > expect as people expect "mutt" to work. Or, if they want to standardize
> > on distributing neomutt only, at least have a package redirection where
> > installing "mutt" lists "neomutt" as the replacement.
>
> I tend to agree with this. I don't know anything about it other than what
> has been posted on this thread lately and don't have strong personal
> feelings -- I use Debian on all my boxes including my laptop but run neomutt
> from Github -- but I can sympathize with the upstream author's point of
> view. I think there was a concern that moving the Debian mutt package back
> closer to vanilla mutt or else changing the name would impact existing users
> too greatly, but honestly it's a much smaller deal than many of the shifts
> that have been made in Debian in the past few releases and I think the
> suggestions from the previous poster pretty much cover the bases.

The reason why I haven't replied is because I was busy at work, this doesn't
mean that I forgot about this issue and it is still my top priority.

I will address this in August, I want to make clear that no new "mutt" releases
will happen in Debian until we have a solution for this problem.

The migration to neomutt under the name "mutt" predates me (it was done in a
period while I was not very active as maintainer), but I think a solution that
satisfies upstream can be found, just bear with me a couple of days/weeks
(within August anyway).