On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 12:36:21PM -0500, Luis Mochan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:49:30PM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > On 2017-08-02 21:47, Jason wrote:
> >
> > > I am using emacs24 for my text editor with mutt (in a terminal).
> > > How can I set it to automatically wrap the lines at a certain number
> > > of characters?
> >
> > "M-x auto-fill-mode" will do it in a new buffer, provided you set your
> > fill-column variable.
>
> If you have already opened your buffer, you can wrap the lines of a paragraph
> with M-q.
>
> You can set the fill column to say, 72 with C-u 7 2 C-x f
Thank you for both replies. I am new to emacs and while I know it can do many
different things, right now I would just like it to automatically wrap lines
when using for composing messages. "M-x auto-fill-mode" works in the buffer but
I would like it to startup in that mode. Here's what's in my config file:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(auto-fill-mode t)
 '(fill-column 80)
 '(fill-nobreak-predicate nil))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

What am I missing?
Thanks.

--