I use fetchmail to download emails from two different accounts into mutt. This
worked fine for years on my desktop and then my laptop when travelling. I am
currently travelling and using my laptop.

Some times I get the following output:-

fetchmail: No mail for b_d...@bigpond.net.au at pop.telstra.com
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer
certificate
fetchmail: Broken certification chain at: /OU=GlobalSign Root CA -
R2/O=GlobalSign/CN=GlobalSign
fetchmail: This could mean that the server did not provide the intermediate
CA's certificate(s),
           which is nothing fetchmail could do anything about.  For details,
please see the
           README.SSL-SERVER document that ships with fetchmail.
fetchmail: This could mean that the root CA's signing certificate is not in the
trusted CA
           certificate location, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the
certificate directory.
           For details, please see the documentation of --sslcertpath and
--sslcertfile in the
           manual page.
fetchmail: OpenSSL reported: error:14090086:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
           verify failed
fetchmail: SSL connection failed.
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from
brian.james.d...@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET

It get the mail from bigpond account, but fails on the gmail account. On the
surface, it seems that the CA's signing certificate is corrupt. If that was the
case it would always fail. But it does not always fail. Sometimes is downloads
fine. I am using different wi-fi connections and it seems that once it starts
to fail with one wi-fi it continues to fail even after a reboot, but I am not
certain about that. With a new wi-fi it sometime works fine and then later it
fails. Sometimes it fails at first and then works. I have run c_rehash and that
does change anything. I can of course read gmail mail in firefox, but I want to
download it.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Regards to all mutters, Brian.
--