On 07Feb2018 01:05, Scott Kostyshak <skostys...@ufl.edu> wrote:
I would like to color all header lines in the pager if a message pattern
matches.

As an example, I can use the following to color the index if a message
was sent to me and not sent to a list:

 color index yellow black ~p!~l

But I cannot do the following:

 color header yellow black ~p!~l

to color all headers in the pager if a message was sent to me and not
sent to a list. This is understandable, as the pattern is matched
against each header.

As for why I would like to do this, I rarely look at the index. I
configure mutt to go directly to the pager, so that I focus on one email
at a time. However, I find the message pattern matching useful so I
would like to be able to use them to color headers in the pager.

Is it possible to use the message pattern mechanism to color headers
showing in the pager?

Yes, you need to be a little indirect.

My setup has these lines:

 color header $colour_hl1 default "^(from|subject):"
 color header $colour_hl1 default "^(x-spam-status):"

Where $colour_hl1 happens to be cyan. What you want to do is, instead of defining your header rules once, define them per message via a message-hook. Example (untested):

 message-hook . 'set my_hdr_colour=green'
 message-hook ~p!~l 'set my_hdr_colour=yellow'
 message-hook . 'color header $my_hdr_colour default'

so that a colour is chosen per message, then applied to your settings.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> (formerly c...@zip.com.au)