On (20/03/18 10:22), Jens John <li...@2ion.de> put forth the proposition:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018, at 05:17, David Woodfall wrote:
Is there a way of speeding this up? I'm not using IMAP or anything,
just plain maildir.

You should try `header_cache`. It worked wonders when I was still using a HDD
and Maildir, reducing mailbox load times from ~4s to .5s for large maildirs.
Not sure how much of a difference this would make on a system that already has
SSD, but even then it's worth a try.

header_cache
             Type: path
             Default: “”

             This  variable  points  to the header cache database.  If pointing
to a directory Mutt will contain a header cache database file per folder, if
pointing to a file that file
             will be a single global header cache. By default it is unset so no
header caching will be used.

             Header caching can greatly improve speed when opening POP, IMAP MH
or Maildir folders, see “caching” for details.

I used to use cache when I used IMAP. I turned it off when I started
using local mailboxes. I'll turn it on again and see.