On 05.07.18 13:39, David Woodfall wrote:
> I've noticed now that my replies in that thread don't have a
> In-Reply-To for some reason. When I tag one and attach it with & as
> you said it joins fine and adds that.
>
> Why wouldn't mutt add that? It works fine eg in lists.

It's ticked over 23:00 here, and I'm not recalling anything on the
missing In-Reply-To headers, but if there's still poor threading after
that's fixed, then here's what my notes say I did, back when:

Debug: Maillist posts, lacking In-Reply-To or References headers, and with
       "Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re:" pollution in the Subject, started multiple
       threads, and mutt didn't cope:
Diagn: :set ? strict_threads
       strict_threads is unset
       :set ? sort_re
       sort_re is set
       # Default reply_regexp is simplistic, though.
Fix:   Added in .muttrc:
       # Note:  Keep reply_regexp lower-case, to keep it case-insensitive.
       #
       set reply_regexp="^(((re(\\[[0-9]\\])?|aw|fw|fwd|\\?\\?|):)[ \t]*)+"

There are even fancier regexes in the list archive, back in 2009/2010,
but they have more ambitious agendas.

Erik