It makes me wonder if some other line is invoking anunseen config entry which
changes the definition.

Is it possible to add a config line which prints the definition to a file, or
to the screen?  Then you could scatter several such lines around in a binary
search / bisect mode until you narrow it downto one particular line which
changes the definition.

I am just flailing for no particular reason; I do not know if there is any way
to print a definition like this.

An alternative would be to throw in an explicit redefinition to the value you
want, put it at the end, and if it fixes the problem, move it backwards a ways
until it no longer fixes the problem, then move it forward half the distance,
and so on.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 09:06:41PM -0700, TJ Hayes wrote:
> @Cameron Simpson
>
> Thank you for your help. Here is what I get when I try the suggestions given:
>
> > Try commenting this line out of your config and retry. I don't have this
> > explicitly in my settings, it comes from mutt's defaults for me.
>
> Commenting out "bind <return> display-message" from my muttrc has no impact.
> The <return> key still does nothing when I press it in index mode.
>
> > Also try running "mutt -F /dev/null" to bypass all the configuration.
>
> This worked!!  When I run mutt with no config file (muttrc), the <Return> key
> does function properly to display-message in index mode. This is a clue that
> my muttrc is giving me the trouble.
>
> Also, I verified that typing ? to show keybinds DOES show that
> display-message and "display a message" are listed for <Return>.
>
>  > Do you have another version of mutt to hand to run against the
> > same setup for comparison?
>
> I do not have another version to run with the same setup.
>
> ** One new bit of information: this behavior started after I upgraded my
> system from Ubuntu-Budgie 17.10 to Ubuntu-Budgie 18.04. I was second guessing
> myself about this, wondering if I only thought that <Return> used to open an
> email message. However, I am 95% sure that mutt worked fine before the
> upgrade to my Linux OS. I wonder if the newer version of Ubuntu, or the
> upgrade process itself somehow messed up the inner workings of my mutt.
> Searching the Ubuntu help pages gave no hints that anyone else has run into
> this.
>
> My next steps:
> (1) Mess with my muttrc to find out what is causing this strange behavior.
> (2) Try another version of mutt. Maybe I can figure out how to compile the
> newest version of mutt 1.10.0.
>
> Thanks!
> - TJ

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & wood chipper / fe...@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933