On 2018-10-07 22:45, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> when I configure a list with "lists", list-reply knows to
> reply to the mailing list. All great.

In fact the "lists" command is not relevant or necessary for this.  List
reply simply selects the address in the List-Post header.  I remember I
was confused about this too when I was learning mutt.

> When I select a folder for a given mailing list and then
> want to mail the start of a new thread, simply hitting "m"
> (bound to <mail>) ought, in my mind, to auto-populate the
> mailing list.

> How can I achieve this with a folder-hook to bind a macro?

I used to have a myhdr command in a folder hook for each mailing list.
But now I find it easier and simpler to just have aliases for them.  It
also means I can post to any list from any folder, which makes for a
less "modal" interface.