On the topic of firing off composition in a separate window so that the main mutt can continue on immediately, monitoring for new email etc, I'm working on a change to my muttedit script to do all this inside tmux:

Start the main mutt in a tmux session.

Have muttedit:
- spawn a detached tmux session for composition as at present, detached
- split the current tmux window and attach to the composition session in the new pane

This effectively "opens a composition window below the index view". Like an unadorned mutt reply does, but detachable. There are still some pain points :-(

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>