On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 09:29:23 +1300
martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:

> Regarding the following, written by “John Long” on 2019-10-30 at
> 11:31 Uhr +0000:
> >
> > From my point the issue is not only what I have to configure or
> > what can be configured, but also how much code is behind doing
> > that. Less code is easier to manage than more code. I can’t see the
> > benefit of junking up mutt with HTML …
>
> Fully agreed on all of the above.
>
> The approach Kevin proposed is completely HTML-agnostic and leaves it
> up to the user to provide an external tool that provides the HTML.
> Mutt then just does the required MIME-handling, which is clearly
> within the domain of a MUA.

I thought there was already the capability in mutt to pipe email to
another application?

> Also, mutt already does receiving/reading multipart/alternative, so
> it only makes sense to figure out how to properly add creation of
> such containers. After all, mutt can sign GPG signatures, not just
> verify them.

I'm not sure what this means since with the PGP config it can verify
also.

> > Remember, some of us use mutt on a console with no GUI.
>
> There is no GUI requirement in any of this.

I meant to say that HTML email becomes much less useful and in some
cases worthless without a GUI. You can't display pictures or see
advertising links on the console. I have tried to use various console
browsers like links and lynx and I'm unable to use them with almost any
webpage.

/jl