On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 08:33:21PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:09:29AM -0400, Jaron Kent-Dobias wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to replace rxvt-unicode with termite, and am having trouble with my mutt bindings.

Termite emulates an RS-232 terminal--a simple (AKA "dumb") ASCII terminal, whereas rxvt has a more complex interface that allows sending and receiving a variety of control sequences to represent when someone has pressed a key with a modifier key (like Alt) and other control functions.

I guess I'm mostly confused why mutt takes Alt-[a-zA-Z] and Alt-Return modifiers from termite but doesn't take Alt-[Arrows].

Not sure why you're trying to do this, but I don't think it's going to work.

I'm trying to switch to a Wayland-native terminal emulator. All the minimalistic ones (including termite) appear to be VTE-based, and all appear to have the same input problems as each other.

RS232 terminals, IIRC, at most supported a few basic ANSI control codes for cursor movement and text formatting.

I have

bind index,pager \e<Up>     sidebar-prev
bind index,pager \e<Down>   sidebar-next
bind index,pager \e<Return> sidebar-open

which in rxvt-unicode navigates the sidebar with Alt-Up, Alt-Down, Alt-Return. In termite the sidebar-open binding still works, but neither the Alt-Up nor the Alt-Down do. The what-key utility gives 'A' and 'B' as the keypresses associated with them, respectively, but binding 'A' and 'B' to sidebar-next and -prev don't work.

RS232 terminals can send all of the bytes 0-255, which includes the control characters from 0-31 (ctrl-A is 1, ctrl-B is 2, etc...) so the best you're probably going to be able to do here, is identify some control characters you're not using for something else, and map those to your sidebar functions. Your options are limited though.

I could be mistaken about all that though--really if there's a mailing list for termite, that's a better place to ask this question.

Back on urxvt for now, but I'll poke around the termite support. Thanks!

I haven't seen anyone trying to use an RS232 terminal since I had a 9600 baud modem.... that was like 35 years ago. Even minicom supported
vt100 terminal emulation over a serial line...

-=-=-=-=-
This message is posted from an invalid address. Replying to it will result in undeliverable mail due to spam prevention. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jaron