Trey Sizemore wrote (Mon 2020-Aug-10 07:53:17 -0400):

> If I set xfce4-terminal to transparent, it works as expected.
>
> If I then start mutt from from xfce4-terminal, the only transparency are
> messages highlighted in some way (new, from me, flagged)  All other mails are
> set against a black background.

I can confirm at least part of what you have observed (using
Debian buster). I believe the background color in Mutt is
set to "black" for most things. Setting the background color
to "default" makes it transparent in my case.

You'll probably have to set the background color of several
objects to "default" (in your muttrc). I'd suggest to start
with the object called "normal".

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  <m...@cheers.de>  ·  @mcg:cheers.de