> As I recall, there is a LaTeX package for drawing a chess diagram,
> so I would expect there also is a LaTeX package for drawing a bridge
> diagram.

There is such a LaTeX package: grbbridge.

But I don't think that is quite what Mr. LaBadie is seeking.  I think,
but am not quite sure, that he could use the Unix command "column"
to produce the sort of ASCII formatting he wants.  It would help to
see an example of the sort of Word document he's trying to reproduce
with UTF-8.  Incidentally, the programs "antiword" and "abiword" can
be used to convert Word documents to text.

Best regards,
Greg Marks