On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 17:02:08 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> However there is a minor downside in the file browser (well directory
> browser really isn't it), the information shown against the
> directories (at the bottom level these are maildir mailboxes) is
> pretty useless, what I am seeing now is like the following:-
>
>      selling/                         Sep 25 12:39     0K
>      shopping/                        Sep 25 12:39     0K
>      software/                        Sep 25 12:39     0K
>      telecoms/                        Sep 25 12:39     0K
>
> No size information and the date is just the date of creation of the
> parent directory, not the latest message.  With mbox you get a 'last
> message' date and a meaningful size.

That's most likely a "last edited" date. Adding flags or labels to a
message would have reset that time as well. These directories were last
edited on the date you created them, so not much is going to change
that. You'd want access time, but that isn't reliable anyways (see
relatime and noatime mount options) because it makes reads potentially
very expensive writes to update atimes all the way up the tree.

> Are there any configuation options to improve this for maildir?

Not really? You might be able to get recursive size info, but that's
potentially very expensive to compute, so isn't usually done by default.

> This is by no means a show stopper, I'm going to stay with maildir,
> but it woud be nice to be able to improve it a bit.

I'd recommend using a "maildir browser" which knows how to interpret the
information you're looking for (and which mutt is very good at).

--Ben