On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 06:09:49PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> Yes, Olaf Hering submitted a patch in 1.10, zeroing out the directory size
> for the reason you site below:
>
> > However the size of a directory is very likely not what you think it is,
> > and is not particularly useful to you.  On Unix systems, at least for
> > most file systems, the size of a directory is the space occupied by the
> > blocks needed to hold the internal representation of the listing of the
> > directory... NOT the size of the contents of the directory.
>
> I don't feel strongly one way or another, but the listing does look a bit
> cleaner with the (useless) sizes zeroed out.  Feel free to bring it up on
> mutt-dev if you feel it should be changed back.

I see... Well, I would say I don't really get the point or the
motivation for displaying 0K instead of the actual value... If users
thought to put it in their folder format, presumably they actually
cared about that info, and now they can't have it...  I don't see that
this change saves anything either--you still have to stat() the
directory to get the other info (like access times) so you already
will have the info anyway.

You could remove %s from folder_format, but I s'pose people still want
it for the sizes of files.  Or, perhaps a new format specifier like %S
(I'm not bothering to check if that's available for folder_format)
which displays the size for files, but displays nothing for
directories...  But honestly, if you're already displaying sizes for
files, it seems to me that not displaying directory sizes will just
look weird.

No one noticed for over 2 years (that I recall hearing about anyway),
so I'm not sure that it matters in practice, but from a purely
philosophical standpoint, do I feel strongly about actively choosing
to display information that's factually wrong, especially when the
only upside (as far as I can see) is a completely subjective cosmetic
improvement.  If I'd noticed, I certainly would have argued against
it.  But, I didn't...  =8^)

-=-=-=-=-