On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 10:30:54PM +0000, Dave Woodfall <d...@tty1.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Maildir folder which I want to move to another machine:
> about 830M with 29000 messages.
>
> Would just rsync'ing or scp'ing be OK?
>
> I'm asking because I noticed that either procmail or getmail puts the
> hostname in the file names, and I wondered if this would cause
> problems at the other end or not when I've setup getmail+procmail on
> it?
>
> Renaming all the files is possible I guess, but would be a task.

Although you don't need to rename these files, if you
did (or if you wanted to), it isn't difficult. See my
"mved" program which lets you rename multiple
files/directories easily and safely:

  http://raf.org/mved
  https://github.com/raforg/mved

Either of these commands would replace the hostname in
all files in the current directory:

  mved '*oldhostname*' =newhostname=
  mved =oldhostname=   =newhostname=

The '=' is like '*' but you don't have to quote it from
the shell.

There are other programs that rename multiple files but
they aren't generic enough, or they require the user to
know Perl.

cheers,
raf