On 08Feb2021 17:17, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>My online research into "notmuch" does not seem to be giving my expected
>results.  My _expectations_ going into this were that with "notmuch" I
>could:
>
>1) Open an email in Mutt.
>
>2) Based on that email and its contents assign relevant tags to the email
>via notmuch.  These tags would prove useful in the future when searching
>for tagged content.
>
>3) From within Mutt I could initiate a notmuch search across _all_ of my
>mail directories.  After notmuch returns the search results I could open
>any of these emails from within Mutt.
>
>4) Et cetera.  Meaning similar types of actions initiated from *within*
>Mutt.  That seems to be key.

I'm not using notmuch's tagging facility; I only use it for search. And
that infrequently.

Notmuch itself lives outside mutt. You set it up with "notmuch setup"
and keep it up to date with the "notmuch new" command. (See "man
notmuch-setup" and "man notmuch-new".)

I've a script for performing a notmuch search and building a result
Maildir containing the search results, and popping up that Maildir in
mutt:

    https://hg.sr.ht/~cameron-simpson/css/browse/bin/notmuch-search?tip

and I routinely invoke it via a stub script with a shorter name which
includes the -t option (includes threads containing the matching
messages).

>Can someone clarify what I can and cannot do with notmuch from *within*
>Mutt?  Provide more informative online articles then perhaps I have found?

You could easily write a mutt macro to invoke such a search from within
mutt itself. I haven't myself. I just issue a search from the command
line via my script.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>