On 21/02/15 10:33PM, Wim wrote:
On Monday, 15 February at 21:53, boB Stepp wrote:

...BTW, typing "Mu" into the "To:" field
and then hitting <Tab> does *not* fill in the email address; instead, it
brings up a browser view where I have to hit <Enter> before the address is
inserted.  Is there a way, when there are no conflicting "Mu" entries, to just
*immediately* have hitting <Tab> insert the address?

If you change your alias line to:

alias Mu Mutt-Users <mutt-users@mutt.org>

typing Mu and <Enter> will work, not <Tab>.

Ah!  I was misunderstanding the function of <Tab> in expanding things.

I haven't done it yet, but what I would like to do is have different groups
that I can type a shortcut and have all the email addresses inserted.  For
instance, I would like to have a group "Kids" which when typed would
auto-expand into my kids' email addresses.  Also, I would like to be able to
type in abbreviations like "Jess" and have that expand to my daughter's email
address.  How would I go about doing this without having a browser view come
up with numbered entries?

I think what you want is this. Given the kids' email addresses:

alias Joe Josephine Murphy <j...@someaddress.com>
alias Moe Moe Murphy <m...@anotherisp.com>

you can alias them as:

alias fam Joe Moe

and typing fam and <Enter> will auto-expand.

Yep, this works.  Thanks!

So what is the purpose of "group"?  How can it help me?

And from reading the Mutt manual I have encountered the alternates option, but
now I am not sure what it is useful for and how to most effectively use it.

And "alternates" is still a mystery...

--
Wishing you only the best,

boB Stepp