For what it's worth, I have a desire for the opposite kind of feature, although
I don't quite know how it should work.
I want to see and use timezones as displayed in messages as long as they are
nearby US timezones that my brain is facile with the trivial arithmetic for
(i.e. US/Eastern, US/Central, US/Pacific, and I suppose the rare US/Mountain).

But when a header comes in UTC, I'd much rather convert it to local time,
especially so I don't have to think about how DST affects the offset.

But also this is an issue for attributions. When I reply to someone, I want the
attribution to properly reflect the time in a zone they understand, because I
assume other humans can't easily do timezone math. As long as their client used
their local zone, this works great.

But more and more Exchange/Outlook/whatever are using UTC, and that means the
times in attributions echoed back to them are too hard.

A while back I gave up and converted from %{%a, %e %b %Y} to %[%a, %e %b %Y].

I don't love this, but it seems to work better.

I don't really know what to suggest, though. It's hard to think of a good
heuristic that would be worth coding up in C.

I suppose if mutt were extensible in lua or lisp or whatever, I could easily
write my own function that handled the US timezones differently from other
ones, and that would solve most of my problems.

Anyhow, this email isn't really intended to be actionable in any way, but I
thought it was worth talking about the problem, perhaps as a way to inform...I
don't know what, perhaps future development, but probably not.

Thanks for listening.

--
jh...@alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson