> I think that might be elinks. I'm not sure about what all the relevant
> options are, but document.colors.text (default foreground) may be what
> is giving you light gray text. You probably also want
> document.colors.use_document_colors to be 2 and document.css.enable to
> be enabled (1)?

Thanks. I gave that a try, but no change. document.colors.background and
document.colors.text don't seem to have any effect.
document.colors.use_document_colors is set to 2 by default, and
document.css.enable is set to 1 by default. The only visible change is when I
change document.dump.color_mode to 0, which disables color and basically sets
monochrome mode. document.colors.use_document_colors 0 and 1 have the same
light gray text but no highlighting.