On Thu, 29 Jul 2021, at 16:37, Bastian wrote:
> On 29Jul21 09:38-0400, hy...@nasalinux.net wrote:
> > Is "fetchmail" still a thing?
> Yup. at least for me. Should I change to a modern tool?

fetchmail is still getting regularly updated :) Though fetchmail does one-way
sync = pull.

According to the OP's requirement for switching from "online IMAP" to "offline
IMAP" he actually requires two-way as supported by offlineimap or (my preferred
tool) isync/mbsync unless he is OK with local changes not being reflected on
the IMAP server.

@OP If speed is your only concern: have you already configured all available
caching mechanisms (headers, messages) as explained in the mutt manual? Perhaps
with the right cache use, the delay between mutt launching and going online
wouldn't be as long anymore.