On 2021-08-13, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> On 13Aug2021 08:17, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

>>> What about a macro or shortcut to toggle between different settings?
>>>
>>That's possible but it's just one more thing that one has to to
>>manually which isn't really necessary.
>
> I always invoke via a script (named "+") which has assorted
> figure-it-out logic before invoking mutt. You could sniff the terminal
> size and choose a narrower index_format for narrow terminals. (_And_
> bind that to a keyboard toggle macro as well if you wanted.)
>
> I've got a ttysize script which does this:
>
>     stty -a </dev/tty \
>     | sed -n '
>           s/.* rows \([0-9][0-9]*\); columns \([0-9][0-9]*\).*/\2 \1/p
>           s/.*; *\([0-9][0-9]*\) rows; *\([0-9][0-9]*\) columns.*/\2 \1/p
>           t'
>
> but I'm sure there must be a more direct way.
>
> Anyway, given the tty width you could make a choice about index_format.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>

I've had this problem with gpg key selection menus. Customizing a format
probably didn't occur to me when I asked about this in 2018[0], but,
looking at manual.txt, I should try customizing pgp_entry_format.

While changing formats will help mitigating the problem, I expect it to
resurface occasionally. I wonder if there's anything that could be done
in general to avoid truncated lines or to make these readable - either
allowing left-right scroll or having a "line-wrap mode" for indices?

(Or is one of these a mutt feature I haven't learned about yet?)

[0] news://news.gmane.io/pq6sad$sp4$1...@blaine.gmane.org
    or http://marc.info/?i=pq6sad$sp4$1...@blaine.gmane.org

--
Nuno Silva