On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 07:29:01PM +0000, Claus Assmann wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021, Andrew D. Arenson wrote:
>
> >     Deferred: 403 4.7.0 TLS handshake failed.
>
> This has nothing to do with the content of the mail, it's a problem
> between the program you use to send (submit?) the mail at the SMTP
> level and the MTA at uw.edu.
> Do you use mutt directly for this or some MTA?
> Check whatever (START)TLS configuration you use for that.

        Thanks!

        I'm not sure I know enough to answer your question properly, but I will
try.

        I'm running mutt on an Ubuntu OS workstation with sendmail installed.

        I receive email using IMAP via a davmail process that in turn interacts
with Indiana University's Office 365 Exchange instance.

          set spoolfile="{aarenson\@iu.edu@localhost:1143}INBOX"

        I have the following in my .muttrc that I think were put in place to
deal with issues in _receiving_ email, but perhaps have a role in sending
email, too.

          # For using TLS
          set ssl_starttls=no
          set ssl_force_tls=no

        I don't see any obvious configurations that set how email is sent, so
my guess is that it is being send via sendmail on my Ubuntu workstation.

        I have no record of configuring sendmail myself, and I kept fairly
copious notes when building this workstation in March, so I assume sendmail has
whatever is the stock configuration for its Ubuntu package.

Andy

--
Andrew D. Arenson (he/him)                              H 317.964.0493
arenson (at) spatzel.net                                C 317.679.4669