My guess is that slang reserves one or more of those characters for its own
processing purposes. Perhaps read the slang docs to find out which ones..?

Lee 😎

On Dec 15, 2021 at 7:03 AM, maitra <mai...@email.com> wrote:

On Wed Dec15'21 03:38:02PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> From: Matthias Apitz <g...@unixarea.de>
> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:38:02 +0100
> To: mai...@email.com
> Subject: Re: accommodating "possible special characters" in password?
>
> El día miércoles, diciembre 15, 2021 a las 08:25:46a. m. -0600,
> mai...@email.com escribió:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > So, I have this recipe set up for one of my accounts for sending email, and
> > it must be using a special character in the password because Mutt fails
> > (says something about SASL authentication failed). The same setup with a
> > different account but same mail service, etc, works just fine. Indeed, the
> > first account, when I do not specify the password in my .muttrc, but type
> > it in through mutt, sends email through just fine, so I am thinking that
> > there must be something in the password amongst the special characters used
> > that mutt does not like reading from the rc file. I am wondering what those
> > characters are, and how do I get around it in my muttrc? Probably an Escape
> > sequence?
> >
> > Sorry if this is not clear, but thanks in advance for your help, and best
> > wishes,
> > Ranjan
>
> Ranjan,
>
> Without knowing your password string it's only guessing (and I know that you
> can't post here your password :-)). I would avoid as chars in a password
> any UTF-8 multibyte char and also only use ASCII printable chars. Best
> solution for you is just changing the password in your mail server
> following this rule.
>
>       matthias

Matthias,

Thanks, yes, I considered that, but I thought that someone here would
know, and I would learn. I don't know if my characters are that out of
the world, but what other reason could there be? My characters are
from the list +-=[]$\|/!{}%@:;#^*()<>? so I do not think that it is
that egregious a list. Anyway, lets see if someone here would know. Of
course, it is quite possible that this is not the issue, in which case
what is begs the question.

Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Ranjan