On Mon, May 02, 2022 at 03:04:11PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 03:18:20AM +0530, Bhaskar Chowdhury wrote:
> > Will Yardley <mutt-us...@veggiechinese.net> writes:

> > > Any links / docs / background on this?
> >
> > Probably this : https://getmail6.org
>
> Sorry, I meant background on the assertion that Google was planning to
> blanket disable application passwords.
>
> I know a lot of _organizations_ have started (with both Office365 and
> Gsuite) started disabling "legacy" (read: Internet standard) protocols
> like IMAP, or making it more difficult to use without OAUTH / MFA login
> support.
>
> But did a quick search and hadn't found references to Google disabling
> app passwords more broadly than that, so was just wondering where the OP
> had read that (as it would likely affect many of us on this list)

Google doesn't disable app passwords (requires 2FA). Google is going to
disable account passwords login at the end of this month.[1]

I've switched to OAuth because I don't want to enable 2FA (which means
if I lost all my devices, I would lose access to my Google account).

PS: Access code from a testing OAuth app will expire in 7 days. It'd be
better to get a non-testing one.

[1]: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

--
Best regards,