On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 10:40:22AM +1000, raf via Mutt-users wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 01:47:06PM -0400, Kurt Hackenberg <k...@panix.com>
> wrote:
> > set indent_string = '>'
> >
> > You could argue that should be the default value of $indent_string.
>
> Not successfully. Changing a default affects all users who are
> obviously happy with the default and forces them to "fix" their
> configuration to put it back the way it was. There is rarely a good
> reason to do that. A recently discovered security flaw is a good
> reason, but that's about it.

I concur 100%.  Changing defaults--particularly ones such as this,
which is a long-standing convention used by the overwhelming majority
of e-mail users--needs a very strongly compelling justification.  A
random group of individuals who do not like the aesthetic of the
current long-standing convention does not constitute such a reason.

Note that changing this does not impact only the sender; in fact it
primarily affects the receiver, who may, for instance, be running a
custom filter that expect the well-established convention, and breaks
on those rare occasions when the sender does something... eccentric.
More likely, it may simply give some users difficulty in figuring out
who said what, because it makes lining up the levels harder, visually.

If anything, I would argue in favor of enforcing the convention and
removing configurability entirely, for that reason.  But I'm not
draconian enough to make that argument seriously. =8^)

-=-=-=-=-