I have been playing with the various mutt settings which affect how
long lines are managed (in the pager in particular).

By 'long lines' I mean strings of text which have no spaces in them
and which are longer than the width of the terminal window.  The
handling of text made up of words with spaces between them seems
perfectly OK.

So, when there is a long string of text in a message that is longer
than the width of the terminal and has no spaces in it mutt *always*
breaks the line at the RHS of the terminal window and displays the
rest of the line on separate continuation lines.

This seems wrong to me, a very long string of text should be left
intact and simply wrapped onto multiple lines.

I have tried all the sensible combinations of $wrap, $reflow_wrap and
$reflow_text that I can think of and, though they do exactly what
they're supposed to do with 'words' separated by spaces, they never
change the truncation of long strings of text at the right margin.

I'm am also pretty sure that it's the mutt pager doing this as other
programs (i.e. less) wrap long lines in a terminal window but don't
chop them into pieces like mutt's pager.

Have I missed a setting somwhere that affects this or is it just a
bug/feature?  Can I ask if it might be fixed because it's one of the
few things i find really annoying about mutt - not being able to
easily select and use long URLs.

--
Chris Green