It took me a long time and a lot of work to get to the point where this was
working for me. In my experience, there are two kinds of problems.

One involves whether the display accurately reflects the computed score. If
you check computed score for several tasks (in the task statistics tab) and
the listing is showing them out of order, you have this problem. If you are
looking at a to-do (not outline) view and if to-do ordering is set to
computed score as just suggested by Lisa, then imho you have a bug and
should report it as such.

The other class of problem is where the computedscore does not make sense -
the unimportant "someday" task that's sitting high in the list with a high
computed score that will not go down no matter what you do, or the urgent,
gotta-do-it-today task that's languishing way down under doing something
about my junkmail. There are some common problems that can help, like
checking if the task's parents have an unreasonable priority, or checking if
something has been set too high in the tree and is distorting results when
it's applied recursively at every level of the tree. But sometimes you just
cannot figure it out. If that's where you are, I would humbly request that
you go to the MLO forum on UserVoice and vote for my proposal to add an
explanation of a task's computer score.
http://mlo.uservoice.com/forums/9235-general/suggestions/1357757-explain-why
-this-task-sorts-way-up-down-here-

-Dwight