I solve this problem in a different way (that violates GTD thinking but it works for me!). I like the bit of GTD that says break tasks down into small parts - it helps me try and focus on one thing at a time when I am working on that tasks but I like to see the top level task in my main ToDo. So I star the main task and filter that view on the main task. I then create an 'Activities' task underneath this and immediately flag this as 'Hide in ToDo view' (Alt+E). This ensures that the main task remains in my Main ToDo view. I then have a 'Focus Task' tab for the big task that I am currently trying to focus on which displays in Outlook view. I zoom on the main task so that I can just see the activities that I have created under the main task. This means that as I am working on that task, I can quickly add new activiites that come to mind and tick things off as I complete them. And if I decide that I need to do a later activity now because that now makes sense, I can do so with out needing to fiddle around with task order. At the end of the day, I mark the top level task done and record how much time I spent on it during the day. If I haven't completed everything, then I use the alternate complete option which creates a new copy of the task and drag all the completed activities under the completed copy - so I can see what I achieved in the day (can be satisfying or not, as the case may be) As I say, its not GTD as we know it but a measure of the flexibility of MLO that one can devise other ways of working that suit your own particular style and needs. Just thought I would share that. Now back to my focus task!! Richard
On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 05:06:42 UTC+1, Lisa S wrote: > I've been trying to break down my tasks into "actions" ala GTD, but the > problem I run into is that often by the time I'm reviewing them, they have > propagated up to my "daily" list, and I have a Star on the main task but it > doesn't get inherited to the children, and I keep thinking it will get > lost. > > However, I just realized that both the Active Starred and Starred views > automatically put the star on new tasks created within them (and continue > to do so even if the view is modified, unless you save the view under a new > name, at which point it is no longer a built-in view and doesn't have this > special behavior). > > So, from the Starred view I can hit "Alt-Ins" to create a child task, and > the Star will be added automatically, not through inheritance, but through > the view itself. > > -- > Lisa > > ------------------------------ > Lisa Stroyan, mailto: [email protected] <javascript:> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/a692eec2-b20e-4737-9dbd-bcdb3de5230d%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
