Hi, David. Here's a way to think about the due date requirement on recurring
tasks.

MLO actually recognizes the kind of use cases you are describing, and for
that reason it's really good at handling tasks that have a start date but no
due date. The exception is for recurring tasks. So, in order for the task to
have a scheduled recurrence, you normally need some idea of when you will
finish the current occurrence, right? So you can just set the current
recurrence to finish just before the next one begins. I say "normally"
because when you say "recurs x period after completed" you may well have no
idea when you will complete it or when the next occurrence will actually
begin. In those cases you can use the technique that someone posted and give
a due date that's impossibly far into the future. That works for most cases,
the exception being Dave the OP, who wants to treat tasks that have a due
date assigned more seriously than those that don't. So in his case it's not
just that the due date is an annoyingly pointless thing, it actually
detracts from his task management.

-Dwight

Reminder: I'm just a user of MLO and this is just my opinion and may have no
resemblance to the actual design philosophies and decisions of MLO
developers.