OK thanks Joel for your honest answers.  :)

I must say that #12 does sound deeply worrying. In the big picture, it is
becoming increasingly clear that ALL businesses will need to seriously
listen and respond to their customers if they are to survive for long in
the coming few years of the 21st century.

And the fact the MLO has a history of being not good at this, doesn't just
mean that it is "inconvenient" for us users that our entirely sensible
suggestions get ignored... it's worse than that because means that MLO will
most probably be bust within a 2 or 3 years. (Either that or their
competition will have progressed *so* much faster that anyone sensible will
want to abandon them even if they are not actually bust.)

>From what I can see MLO started in 2004 was it? And it is pretty clear that
they have lost momentum.

As I see it, with my fresh eyes, the central problem MLO faces is that it
has become "bloatware". i.e. They have comprehensively failed to execute
Lean Startup methodology. And really and truly they should re-write the
whole interface from scratch.

The reason for this is that although early adopters are happy to tolerate
lots of complexity and difficulties of use, mainstream users absolutely are
NOT.

But I was thinking about this problem. One answer would be to have a
'Novice mode', with a greatly simplified interface, but also to keep the
full existing what you might call 'Expert mode'. And then, over time one
could experiment to see how many additional features one could incorporate
before the system become too confusing for newbies to use. And they could
do this without ruining the interface for advanced users.

Mainstream users simply will not tolerate things being pretty obvious as to
how to use them.

One trivial example is that the use of the Enter key in MLO is odd and is
something that new users actually have to *learn*. i.e. in other systems
hitting enter creates a carriage return - i.e. a new line. So if I want to
break the text of an Action a link into two lines (2 tasks) then... I can't!

Another example is that if I want to indent I can't just hit the Tab key to
intent the current line. Instead the user is required to remember to hit
something I have never seen in any other system "Shift/Alt/Right".
Personally I don't mind this hugely, but only because having now tried
about 10 GTD tools and pretty much hated them all I am *desperate* to find
something I can use.

So I don't really mind, but don't be deceived. The mainstream user will not
tolerate having to learn such stupid keys. Basically everything should work
as closely as possible to all the standards that we know - e.g. in this
case for editing text in a text editor.

To recap, Enter should create a new line from wherever the cursor is.
Tab should indent the current line.
Shift Tab should Outdent the current line.

Oh well.

P.S. Is there any way to manually configure the Enter and Tab  (and
Shift/Tab) keys to work differently from how they work by default in MLO?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/a12dfca1-e56d-466e-9b99-5e1d2b1a58d8%40googlegroups.com.