Hi

[ASIDE: OK I am still smarting... but apologies are accepted where given.
>From my side I am happy to apologise for my the *tone* of some of my
earlier remarks. OK let's move on.]

I have discovered a rather fundamental "weirdness" of the system. [Fwiw, in
order to confirm this weirdness I have started again with an empty dataset.]

So if you have a collection of tasks in the root directory, to which you
have not yet had time to allocated into any Project yet, then if you go to
the standard "Next Action by Project" you will see those tasks listed at
the top of the page, where it calls them "Projects: (none)".

Ah but not so fast, this only works in the root directory. And if those
Tasks are moved into a directory of any sort, guess what? They all
disappear from this "Next Action by Project" view!

WTF?

At least *most* of them disappear. Because it turns out the the first task
with the folder *does* stay visible after all. But only the first in that
directory - all the others disappear.

So it's almost as if MLO is treating a Folder as if it were a Project. i.e.
MLO is 'filtering in' the Next Action within the Folder *as if* it were
finding the Next Action within a Project. Now, if I had ticked the "This is
a project" box on the directory then that would make perfect sense. However
the "This is a project" box is emphatically *not* ticked!

For reasons of diplomacy I shall resist the urge to call this a "bug", but
surely it is pretty unexpected.

Background:
As we all know, one of the core GTD concepts "Next Action". And so this
"Next Action by Project" is likely to be one of the most important screens
to anyone trying to implement GTD. I certainly intend to spend a lot of
time there.

Either way, surely we don't want to see "Next Action by *Folder*" because
the folders are just supposed to be merely containers for subject areas and
they do not indicate that something is actually a live Project!

I find this to be quite a fundamental problem. I mean if you use folders a
lot and you have a lot of one-off type Actions to which you have not yet
bothered to put into projects, then whenever you try to work from the "Next
Action by Project" view of the world, all your Actions will disappear - All
except one per folder!

P.S. Now there is a solution to this anomaly which is, similar to what I
mentioned in another thread, which is that if you convert your Actions
without projects into Projects then they are 'forced' to appear in this
"Next Actions by Project" review. But this is definitely a fudge because in
GTD theory you need to work tasks very differently if they are an action
compared to if they are a project.

Surely this "Next Action by Folder" cant be something anyone designed into
the system on purpose. And surely it is unwanted, no?

Either way, I am curious. Has nobody else discovered this 'quirk' ?

And if so, how to you get around it?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/684754e3-0bdf-4dc8-80b7-8d659052c1eb%40googlegroups.com.