Hahaha I do almost the exact things you mention because I have the same
problem.  So by definition I’m not the person to give advice!

But I will share my approach:

1.       I use the review feature to ensure I don’t monkey with task parameters
too often.

2.       I do allocate blocks of time to everything: 5m, 10m, 15m, 30m, 1 hour.
 (actually more)

3.       I agree that you can’t block time.  I’ve experimented with blocking
off time, but

a.       It gets to unwieldy, and

b.      My fav book “Total Workday Control” (from memory), which someone in
this group recommended, pointed out that when you block of chunks of time you
don’t usually stick to it, and that blocks should be reserved for time that
MUST be blocked off.

4.       To limit my big changes, any changes I want to make in the technology
(like create a new profile) gets scheduled into my organizer, at a certain
rate, so that I’m not constantly tinkering.

5.       If I want to tinker with a task, I often use flags to label it for
later, when I review it.  For example, if I want to do something daily instead
of every two days, I’ll use a flag that I’ve called “do more often”.  That way
I don’t have to take the time to edit the task, I can just keep moving through
my list. (I realize there’s the wisdom that if something takes a minute or less
you should do it right now; hence, there’s no perfect answer).

6.       For timers, check out the apps SequiTimer, Meditation Helper, or
Talking Clock, and Stopwatch Pro, all for Android.  I use them all from time to
time.