Thanks both. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.  :)

Of course as soon as you get something you ask for, you realize that it
isn't *quite* what you want.

My problem is that I need to be able to quickly look and see what's
happening tonight, but now during the working day it's gone and disappeared
from my Active view(!) and I can only find it buried in my "All Tasks"
(Show Actions:All) view. Not ideal.

So I think what I really want is to toggle the evening filtering on-off
(but ideally defaulting to whatever time of day it is) and to so within an
Active tasks view, to make sure that tasks for the future don't clutter up
my view.

One obvious option would be to create a special view that (partially) fakes
'Active' by setting the filtering to "show actions: All", but with the
Start Date in the past, possibly filtering to show just those tasks with a
context of "evening".  But I do want to keep my stored views that enable me
to filter on Context at a single click (in left hand column)... I am
reluctant to clutter the screen up by duplicating them all.

Another problem is that adding Evening to my contexts does rather visually
rather mess up my Context views.

Tricky...

If you want the truth, I suspect that if I was sensible, maybe I should not
have an Evenings option at all.  Maybe I should have the self discipline to
know what 'mode' (e.g. Work mode or Personal mode) I am in... at what time
of day.

Now the obvious answer is to this by folder. However the problem is that I
also have different lists (e.g. my Someday/Maybe list, my
ReflectiveThoughts list, my New Ideas list) all of which I like to revisit
from time to time. And here's the problem, it would be great to only see
Work stuff in all these lists when I'm in Work Mode and personal stuff when
I'm in Personal Mode.

An extreme options would be to have a completely different MLO file for
each mode. However that's going to get messy if I want to see both on my
smart phone. (Plus there would now be ZERO chance of seeing all my
outstanding tasks on one screen - although  I could live with that if
necessary).  Either way switching mode's is unlikely to be a couple of
keystrokes or clicks of anything.

So if I'm not going to use Contexts,then the only other obvious thing to
use is Flags.

[Now my head is starting spin with this....]

Okay yes I could have a Personal flag and a Work flag. But how do I make
them apply to all my reports at once at the click of one 'something'?

I hesitate to say this but I fear that this requirement is actually beyond
MLO. And I suspect that what I really need is another field on MLO's
internal database. [Yes, I can hear the choruses of "more complexity - are
you kidding?"]

But I can't see any way around it. Althogh if anyone has a solution then
I'm delighted to listen.

So here's the quest:
I want to be able to change 'Area Of Life' (i.e. what i am calling Mode - I
forget what David Allen calls it in GTD) and do very simply, with either a
couple of hotkeys or the click of a button. And for it to apply to all my
reports (of which I currently have about 12).

I will want Work Mode, Personal Mode and I might even have one modes (e.g.
Charity_Project_X. Or I might divide Personal into say Personal_Admin and
Social... TBH, I'm not at all sure yet, but I just want to leave the "more
than 2 areas"possibility open).

Right time for some Work !

P.S. My compromis for now, is to stick with a Flag for evenings and create
three views in my left hand column:
- One "Active Tasks, All Contexts" view showing just daytime tasks
- One "Active Tasks, All Contexts" view showing just Evening-flagged tasks
- One "Active Tasks, All Contexts" view showing just both daytime & evening
tasks

...and see how I get on.

i.e. The default is for tasks to be un-flagged which broadly means
"probably work stuff - to be done during the day". And if it is definitely
personal, particularly if time consuming personal and so should only be
done in the evenings, then I've set up Control/Shift/E hotkey to set it so
an Evenings flag.

But the more I think about 'Area Of Life'/Mode the more I do think I want
it...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/5cf60bec-2b95-4dbd-8761-2096955a141a%40googlegroups.com.