WiFi sync is effectively client-to-client local sync only. It doesn't
require internet connection as you effectively mirror the database contents
on two devices.Obviously it also means that those two devices need to be in
the same WiFi network. That way you can e.g. sync your mobile with your PC
being at home. However, the moment you leave home, you can't sync it
anymore as you're getting out of your WiFi network range.
Yet, if you want to be able to sync your MLO files wherever you are (well,
any place with internet connection available), then you need a cloud sync,
as in that solution sync is run over the web.
Hope it's clear :).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/1a934e94-c79d-4cfc-82b4-12a5efa33263%40googlegroups.com.