Just in case anyone else is still interested (and in case I need to re-set
this up again from scratch):

My Advanced Filter that I had was in fact failing because during the day
those tasks with @Evening contexts where still appearing.
So I have changed it to:

   ((Starred) *AND (Context does not contain @Evenings) *AND (Context does
not contain @Someday)) OR
   ((Starred) AND (Contexts contains (consider open/closed state)
@Evenings) AND (Contexts does not contain @Someday)

Deconstructing this we have:
A) For during the day a task must be starred, and must not have an
@Evenings context
==> If starred without @Evenings, it will appear
==> If starred WITH @Evenings, it will NOT appear

B) For during the evenings again it must be starred but if @Evenings is
open then it will appear.
==> If starred without @Evenings, it will appear
==> If starred WITH @Evenings, it WILL appear

Either way, it will not appear if it has @Someday context.

I'll need to double-check the above, this evening.
Fingers crossed!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/29c9d8b0-1fcb-4468-b286-09fda777edbc%40googlegroups.com.