Hi All, I have been using MLO off and on for many years (even during the
Windows PPC days!!!) but have only recently really decided to get very
serious and start using its more powerful features to implement a more
robust task management system. I have always felt having nested tasks
essential and no one else has come close to how well this is implemented,
but now I am digging in a bit deeper.

I am trying to map out a number of tasks and some have dependencies.
Certain tasks must be done by a certain date or they can never be completed
but if they are never completed then their dependent tasks never need to be
completed either. For example, since it is getting near Halloween, I will
use that as an example. If I decide to get a costume this year, I have to
decide what it will be, order the parts if it is to be made, assemble the
parts to make the costume and of course wear it. In this case, each task is
dependent on the previous. However, if I don't get a costume before
Halloween, then obviously none of the other tasks are relevant.

Here is what I would like for my use case:
1) I would like to have a record that I didn't complete the task, like a
failed completion (sort of like an x instead of a check, but I know that is
likely way overkill for this uncommon use case)
2) I would like to have the task become inactive so it no longer shows up
on to do lists but also is no longer visible in outline views
3) All of the dependent tasks should also remain inactive and should also
should become hidden in most views.

Number 1) above is a nice-to-have, but given that I doubt the feature would
get much use and the complexity it might introduce, I doubt it is worth
trying to implement. Number 2) can be accomplished possibly with a context
or text tag to filter against in all views or to set available hours to
none and then it wouldn't show up on todo lists. However, I would still
like to remove it from view easily with a toggle like how the
completed/uncompleted tasks can be done. An alternate strategy might be to
mark it as complete with some other way to tag it wasn't actually completed
and the dependencies should never become active.

My instinct was just to delete the task, but then I lose the record that it
wasn't actually done, but also if I delete the first task, the others lose
their dependencies (maybe ask in a dialog box how to handle the depencies?)
and then could become active.

A more common use case might be for tracking of meeting or failing to meet
goals.

I am wondering how many of you have found yourself wanting a similar
feature and/or how you have dealt with this kind of situation.

Thank you all,
Adam

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/bac27d16-93b6-42d1-921c-5d693b4d2f7f%40googlegroups.com.