Have you tried turning on the "Show tree lines" option?  That gives more
visual indication of the outline levels.

This setting is found at: Options / Themes and Formatting / Edit / Tree
Format tab / General

-Steve

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/0ef61e99-6242-4373-89a1-2693923cb234%40googlegroups.com.