I'm kind of in the same boat.  I started yesterday making sure everything
is captured.  I got my email inboxes to zero (b/c they have been creeping
up) with all the tasks that were in them as email as tasks in MLO now.  I
have my 100 post its that have accumulated back in MLO and am down to just
today's postits.  I still like working with my postits.  Number 1 problem
was MLO is my main system and was not complete so I couldn't trust it.

Last time I got in this state I reorganized my MLO tree. I have as top
level folders: Procedures to Copy (for irregular routines),
Followup/Waiting, Routines, One time, Skills/Practice, Reference, Someday
Maybe (this is more like probably not ever but didn't want to lose my
outline of tasks just in case).  Here is the change I made in The One time
folder I have each area broke down under Personal and Work.  Under each
area I have Active Tasks which include anything I am working on now and
anything with a date attached.  Then I have a Prioritized folder where I
put everything else for that area that I am not currently working on but
needs to be done at some point.  One day I will actually prioritize these
lists so it feeds the next priority as I finish the active tasks.  Until
then I will have to manually select and move during my Review.  Eventually
I would like to move my someday maybe under the area it affects also
instead of it being one big bucket.

So yesterday I went through and moved as many things as I could out of
active and into these Prioritized folders which don't show up on my active
lists.  Or in a couple areas where I have no active tasks they are shown to
complete in order so the top task is active.

I am not good about doing reviews and I think that is a major issue with my
system getting out of date.  My new thinking is I have to get my active
tasks to a smaller number so that reviews are not so time consuming.
Awhile back I added routines built in that take care of some of the review
tasks on a daily or weekly basis.  For example at the beginning and end of
my day I clear off or set up my desk, take inboxes to zero etc.  The review
I am talking about adding is only to choose next weeks active tasks.

For backlogs which I have several right now.  They aren't hot projects but
I want to clean them up.  I put a reoccuring tasks in to deal with it.  If
I have several I put them on different days or I make one dependent on the
other finishing.  For example I have a folder from an intern that helped a
few weeks back that I need to go through and figure out what was done and
what still needs to be done and basically clear out the folder.  I have a
task that reoccurs daily that says clean out that folder 5 minutes at a
time.  When it is gone I will delete the task.  As for cleaning up MLO that
is my only active project under my system heading.  Yesterday's task was to
capture everything.  I did it as one task but if I didn't do it that way I
would have made it a daily reoccuring timed task until it was done.  My
system has tasks, projects and routines just like my work and personal life
do.

I'm looking forward to others responses b/c I still have too many active
tasks.  I want to get them down to where I can actually start using the
app.  Right now it is not helpful at all.
Susannah