For those specific examples, I would expect the same thing with "hierarchy
off" and "hierarchy on with parent and child off". Sometimes different
combinations of settings will happen to give you the same results.

You are correct that the bug disappears with hierarchy off - but the bug is
still there with "hierarchy on with parent and child off" and it's still a
problem.

If your point is that my expectations of "hierarchy on with parent and
child off" are wrong, I would just say that this isn't clearly documented,
and what you do in fact see with "hierarchy on with parent and child off"
is very strange.

For instance, in case 1, why does "red top" remain but "blue middle" and
"green bottom" go away? There does not seem to be any good explanation for
this, and I don't believe anyone would expect this outcome. Can you
describe a simple rule that would explain it?

> Could you enhance your example to show what you expect from "hierarchy on
with parent and child off" that's different from "hierarchy off"?

Sure, here you go:

Hierarchy:

outside (text tag: abcd)
one (text tag: ac)
 two (text tag: ad)
  three (text tag: bd)
   four (text tag: bc)

Case 4: With advanced filter for text tag b, hierarchy on, parent and child
off:

What you should get:

outside
three
 four

What you do get:

outside

Case 5: With advanced filter for text tag c, hierarchy on, parent and child
off:

What you should get:

outside
one
 two
  three
   four

What you do get:

outside
one

Case 6: With advanced filter for text tag d, hierarchy on, parent and child
off:

What you should get:

outside
two
 three

What you do get:

outside

Case 7: With advanced filter for text tag a, hierarchy on, parent ON, child
off, parent filter by text containing 'x':

What you should get:

outside
one
 two

What you do get: nothing

Case 8: With advanced filter for text tag b, hierarchy on, parent ON, child
off, parent filter by text containing 'x':

What you should get:

outside
one
 two

What you do get: nothing

Case 9: With advanced filter for text tag c, hierarchy on, parent ON, child
off, parent filter by text containing 'x':

What you should get:

outside
one
 two
  three
   four

What you do get: nothing

Case 10: With advanced filter for text tag d, hierarchy on, parent ON,