we're seeing a lot of errors like these in our error log files from mysql:

010122 17:38:52  Aborted connection 177373 to db: 'XXX' user: 'YYY'
host: `ZZZ' (Got an error reading communication packets)

i haven't investigated too too much about this yet, but i was wondering
what common problems this error might be associated with.  i'll keep
looking through the manual, but suggestions would of course be wonderful.

the connections are over ethernet/tcp, and the eth interfaces on the mysql
server are showing 0 errors after months of uptime, so i'm guessing it's
not a tcp/ip issue, as the wording of that error might suggest.

-tcl.