>  > we are setting up an Arabic web site using PHP with MySQL 3.23.22.
>>  Our problem is that we can not sort data correctly when retreiving it
>>  from Arabic text fields. This seems to be a character set problem.
>>
>  > Has anyone any idea about using the Arabic character set with MySQL?

Hi,

This is an interesting issue I've just begun to investigate for a
project where I plan to use mySQL to store text in different
languages and charsets. Take a look at chapter 10.1 (What Languages
Are Supported by mySQL?) on the mySQL manual, available online at:
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html
http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/Manual/manual.pdf (this is the one I will refer)

There are a number of things to check when using other than the
default character set (ISO-8859-1 or Latin1), among them: mySQL
version, character sets available and compiled, multi-byte support,
client support and language specific features and bugs.

I also found this info on section 4.7.3 (Typical configure Options)

"By default, MySQL uses the ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) character set. To
change the default set, use the --with-charset option:
shell> ./configure --with-charset=CHARSET

CHARSET may be one of big5, cp1251, cp1257, czech, danish, dec8, dos,
euc_kr, gb2312, gbk, german1, hebrew, hp8, hungarian, koi8_ru,
koi8_ukr, latin1, latin2, sjis, swe7, tis620, ujis, usa7, or
win1251ukr. See Section 10.1.1 [Character sets], page 328).

If you want to convert characters between the server and the client,
you should take a look at the SET OPTION CHARACTER SET command. (See
Section 7.33 [SET OPTION], page 270).

Warning: If you change character sets after having created any
tables, you will have to run myisamchk -r -q on every table. Your
indexes may be sorted incorrectly otherwise. (This can happen if you
install MySQL, create some tables, then reconfigure MySQL to use a
different character set and reinstall it.)".

I'd would appreciate if anyone could share any comment or experience
related to this issue.

HTH,

Llorenç Solé
Maresme Netcom, S.L.