From: Tim Samshuijzen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 6 February 2001 04:50
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: amazingly slow

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

(The table actually works with word numbers, as the words
are present in a hash table. I explained it the way I did
because functionally it is the same. So the actual search
is for WordNumber values instead of Word values.)

I did the EXPLAIN as you suggested.

Here is the output:

mysql> EXPLAIN SELECT B.* FROM maintable AS B ,
    -> wordindex AS YL1 ,
    -> wordindex AS YL2 ,
    -> wordindex AS YL3 WHERE
    -> YL1.WordNumber = 123 AND
    -> YL1.RecordNumber = B.RecordNumber AND
    -> YL2.WordNumber = 345 AND
    -> YL2.RecordNumber = B.RecordNumber AND
    -> YL3.WordNumber = 678 AND
    -> YL3.RecordNumber = B.RecordNumber AND
    -> B.Price >= 1000
    -> LIMIT 0,51;
+-----+------+-----------------------+------------+-------+----------------+
----+----------+
|table|type  |possible_keys          |key         |key_len|ref
|rows|Extra     |
+-----+------+-----------------------+------------+-------+----------------+
----+----------+
|YL3  |ref   |WordNumber,RecordNumber|WordNumber  |     4 |???
|  1 |          |
|B    |eq_ref|PRIMARY                |PRIMARY     |     4
|YL3.RecordNumber|  1 |where used|
|YL2  |ref   |WordNumber,RecordNumber|RecordNumber|     4 |B.RecordNumber
| 23 |where used|
|YL1  |ref   |WordNumber,RecordNumber|RecordNumber|     4 |B.RecordNumber
| 23 |where used|
4 rows in set (0.01 sec)

This still does not tell me why the query is amazingly slow.

Tim