Hi,
the inserts did not change the state after the select finished. The network is
running full duplex but the only problem I ever encountered with the cards was
initalization on fast systems. I fixed this and posted it to the linux kernel
mailing list (search for epic100).
If the problem continues to appear with the slaves stopped I'll try to code a
reproducable test case.
The only thing that's visible is the following entry in the slow query log
which matches the process list attached to my earlier mail. The funny thing is
that this query will result in exactly one row and according to the log the
this row was sent. The query time, however, of 277 seconds for a somewhat
simple query makes me wonder...

# Time: 010205 23:13:00
# User@Host: logreader[logreader] @  [10.1.1.4]
# Time: 277  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1
use syslog;
select max(swap_used+swap_free) from pcp where host='castor' and
time>='20010204230000' and time<'20010205231000';

Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH