I have read that IBM has concluded that Linux is ready for the big time.
That may be true for Linux but I would doubt that the same could be said
for MySQL. For example the missing host.frm has been in threads in the
archive for a long time, I have been
bitten by the beast with no success yet in sight despite following the
leads from kind folk on this list.  Such simple problems as
locating the database on a large capacity drive after installing MySQL
from an RPM need to be addressed in a simple and reliable fashion.
Trying to guess what values in which of the 16 parameters for
safe_mysqld might make a difference is not simple.

I suspect users could come up with their own pet problems.