Hi,

Question 1:
---------------
We've got a server app that does a lot of 'small' database reads and
writes.  We were originally using MS Access via DAO (Jet Engine) and we
wanted to tighten up DB performance, so we've written a general ODBC
database wrapper object, but mainly just to connect to MySQL.  I figured
there'd be ODBC overhead, but its a lot worse than I imagined.

I want to know: does it make sense that our original system, connecting via
'Jet-engine' to Access, is actually much faster than connecting to MySQL
via ODBC?  This seems to be what's happened.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the overhead of connecting to a
server-based database via a tcp socket (even on localhost) rather than the
direct-to-disk Jet engine; maybe because we do so many small reads/updates
it's actually faster with Access?  Any thoughts?  Is it worth my time to
look into using MySQL directly instead of thru ODBC?

I'm obviously working on Windows (NT), connecting at ODBC version 2.0 to
MySQL server 3.23, using a database converted directly from Access to MySQL
using the cool (but unstable) DBTools GUI, which kindly retained all keys
and indexes (which have been reviewed for speed).

Question 2:
Is there any way in MySQL to compute, inline SQL, the difference between
two datetime values?  I couldn't find a function which could do anything
but subtract intervals from datetimes...  what I need is the interval!

Many thanks in advance,

Jesse