Hi,

I'm a total newbie to MySQL. I am creating an application in
Java/JSP/Oracle. However, my client wants to move to MySQL because of the
low costs, and I have no idea about MySQL.

I just downloaded the API from MySQL.com

I now need to know the following things :
1. Is there a graphical utility (like SQL Plus for oracle) that I can use
to manage the database ?
2. I saw something about a MySQL GUI on the site. But it was full of
classes and stuff. How do I install/use them?
3. I saw a tcFM JDBC driver on the web. Is that the best ? Are there any
known bugs ?
4. What are the potential problems that could arise with using MySQL in the
long run ? How easy is it to maintain from the backend ? Do I have to
necessarily write 'raw code' like CREATE..... to create a table ?

I would really really appreciate any kind of information and/or insight
into any of the stuff above, or even just URL's to good resources on the web.

I've been searching the web, and the resources I've been seeing are pretty
vague and are not answering my questions.

I feel like the way I felt 5 years back  when facing the web for the first
time - totally LOST!!

Thanks,

Ravi
http://BabyNamesIndia.com