You may be looking too far for your problem...
Your join_buffer and sort_buffer are probably a little large if you
have man concurrent users.

Must you use an old version of mysql?

You should analyize or post EXPLAIN of your query so that you/we
can see that it is properly indexed..  you should be able to
do many joins on very large tables and have results that respond
in fractions of seconds unless you are missing some indexes
or are trying to do some LIKE '%value%'.

if it is writing to temp that means it has to create temporary
tables to complete your query, this can be the case if your
are missing indexes and it is having to search all tables to
complete your join.