> I think you'll get better results if you don't quote your numbers.  Quotes
> should be used for text and dates (depending) but not numbers.

Out of curiosity, why?

We use quotes for numbers all the time here, for consistency's sake;
the programmer doesn't have to worry about the representation of, say,
a salesman_id, but just reads/displays/stores it in the database.

Aside from the fact that leaving them off is possible, is there a
standards/compatibility/other reason to do so?

(An example of a good reason not to use them would be if the db engine
weren't smart enough to use an index when you say

        select * from table_name where numeric_key = '1234'

but possibly (probably?) all dbms's are that smart.)

--Pete