Hi!

There is a consensus that blobs containing image files like .jpgs,  .gifs,
etc. might better be stored just as links in the database,  with the actual
files in a directory pointed to by the database links.   Forgive my
ignorance, but can someone explain a few of the more obvious reasons why
this makes a difference?   For example, if I avoid SELECT * when referring
to a table with blobs it seems to be pretty fast. . .    So I'd only refer
to the heavyweight column when absolutely necessary.   Does it take a lot
longer to pull out the blob than it would to load the file contents into a
browser?

Thanks for any information you can impart!

Cheers!

-Warren